· Lieutenant Seth Smith of Suffield submits a memorial to the General Assembly in Hartford in January 1782 regarding the escape from New Gate Prison.
· On the evening of May 18th, 1781, around 10-11 PM, the prisoners managed to break all the inner locks of the prison and gathered in the outer goal.
· While the Sergeant and Corporal were opening the upper Trapp Door to let the wife of one prisoner out, the prisoners rushed out, attacked the guard, killed one, wounded others, and made their escape.
· The prisoners also broke several guns and locks, and stole guns and bayonets which are included in the attached list.
· Lieutenant Seth Smith requests compensation for the injured and asks for suggestions on how to relieve them.